> On Jun 26, 2018, at 3:49 AM, Josh Paetzel <j...@tcbug.org> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2018, at 4:03 AM, Igor Kozhukhov <i...@dilos.org
> <mailto:i...@dilos.org>> wrote:
>
>> personally to me, KSH is wrong with result - because 64bit application
>> should to use 64bit intager as others applications.
>> BASH and ZSH are agreed with me and produce correct result.
>> i didn’t check others shells.
>> how is old/updated KSH?
>> based on Debian changelog file - 93u+20120801-3.1 - it is code drop from
>> 2012 year.
>>
>> but BASH is:
>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/bash
>> <https://packages.debian.org/stretch/bash>
>> 4.4 latest version
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git?h=devel
>> <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git?h=devel>
>>
>> My primary goal was and is: to use more universal/the same tools as others
>> platforms: Linux, FreeBSD, OSX.
>> and i think - BASH will be much more better as default shell for zfs tests.
>> because others platforms - like Linux, FreeBSD, OSX - have no KSH as default
>> installed and should install it only for zfs tests.
>>
>> I’d like to see comments about this idea from OpenZFS community.
>>
>> also, about others ideas, described in first email with this subject.
>>
>> -Igor
>>

> My $.02 is:
>
> By the time something is complicated enough you’re contemplating porting it
> to a different shell, just use python.

python2 or python3?  :-/

> I’ll be the first to admit I’m anti-shell. It’s a result of 25 years of
> experience with multi-platform shell scripts.

To pile on this, anyone who has ever tried to write cross-platform shells knows
that the builtin math
is not consistent. Back in the 1990's many people were also transitioning from
32 to 64 bit and got bit.
Hence, you'll often see calls to bc for real math and portability (of sorts).

Next you'll find that different OSes deliver different versions for various
non-technical reasons. So just
because you're running "bash" it doesn't mean you have all of the current
features. Apple, I'm looking at you...
 -- richard

openzfs: openzfs-developer
https://openzfs.topicbox.com/groups/developer/T42f8147492666f65-Maf6912692830bfc594bd8d27