On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 7:38 AM Rich via openzfs-developer <
developer@lists.open-zfs.org> wrote:

> The obvious pain points from my perspective would be the feature flag
> disparities between platforms, and how they bite people who get asked
> to try reproducing problems on other platforms. (Two examples that
> stick in my mind - multi_vdev_crash_dump unavailable on ZoL for a long
> time, and now the worse inverse of large_dnode only on ZoL.)
>
> In particular, when ZoL 0.8.x comes out, we'll have at least 5 feature
> flags that no other platform supports, one of which is not
> RO-compatible. [1] (This is great for ZoL importing things from other
> platforms, less so the reverse.)
>
> I'd argue that it'd be nice to have something like zpool create -X
> compat=123 which restricts the feature flag set to known subsets that
> most/all platforms supported at that point, without having to remember
> the enumeration of flags that won't shoot you in the foot as of $DATE.

That's a great idea.  I'm not sure if a literal date would work there, but
certainly something like compat=freebsd10 or compat=ZoL0.7.   Or even
"compat=freebsd10&ZoL0.7", meaning only features that are supported on
both. If it were a date then I think we'd need to explicitly say what the
releases are, e.g. "compat=2016" is an alias for
"compat=ZoL0.7&freebsd10&OmniOSr151018"

--matt