Thanks to everyone who participated.

Video recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WwwomHkAZg

meeting notes (thanks Serapheim):

   -

   OpenZFS Dev Summit: talks & schedule (Matt)
   -

      The talks and other Info can be found in the summit’s website:
      https://openzfs.org/wiki/OpenZFS_Developer_Summit_2021
      -

      Like previous years we will be streaming the event live on Youtube
      and provide the recordings there for future reference.
      -

      There will be a hackathon on the second day as usual. This time it
      would be great if people from this meeting and the general
leadership could
      lead some of the hackathon efforts. One piece of feedback that
we got from
      previous years was that it would be nice to have people available to help
      newcomers get started.
      -

   Speed up zfs list (ready for review)
   -

      PR: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/11080
      -

      -

      This work adds more fields to an existing optimization where we fetch
      specific fields from datasets without actually opening their objsets
      (object sets), which leads to a 300%+ performance improvement for those
      scenarios.
      -

      Future ideas/work: Would be for zfs destroy to take advantage of the
      same optimization and just print the datasets to be destroyed in no-op
      scenarios without actually calculating the space freed, which is
expensive.
      -

   ZFS allow for ‘encrypted’ send only, to only allow encrypted sends
   -

      Question for this feature was brought up in FreeBSD podcast last week
      -

      The idea is that the receiving system of such a send-receive stream
      won’t be able to access/read the plain text data of the encrypted dataset.
      -

      This level of security is not currently supported and probably
      involves some changes to be designed outside of the ZFS kernel module.
      -

      Could be a good hackathon topic for the summit!
      -

   ZTS may fail in weird ways when re-ran on the same disks
   -

      Igor has been experiencing ZTS issues in DilOS where the first time
      the ZTS runs successfully but subsequent runs experience
sporadic failures.
      His hypothesis so far is that the labels are not cleared for the
tests that
      run on disk-based pools (as opposed to file-based ones).
      -

      Historically, we’ve seen that all test cleanups work when tests pass,
      but sometimes they do experience issues when tests fail. Proper
      error-handling and cleanup for all possible scenarios during a
test failure
      can get tricky.
      -

      Igor will be filling an issue after he comes up with a minimal
      reproducer and/or a list of the troublesome tests so we can test whether
      the same issues come up in the OS’s officially supported by the OpenZFS
      repo.
      -

   Issue Triaging & Stalebot
   -

      There exist some concerns within the community about Issue Triaging
      and the use of the Stalebot to mark and close them.
      -

      Illumos has been occasionally hitting a panic described in
      https://www.illumos.org/issues/14003
      <https://www.illumos.org/issues/14003#note-1> , which apparently was
      also reported in OpenZFS under
      https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/6881 once but was subsequently
      closed by Stalebot.
      -

      The underlying problem seems to be issue involvement and triaging
      from the community. There’s recently been efforts from the leadership to
      assign specific folks to help with PRs (ensuring that they get the
      attention of the right reviews and people to test them) but unfortunately
      issue triaging is something that people do on a volunteer-basis. In the
      meantime the stalebot mark old issues as Stale and if there is
no activity
      on them for 90 days, only then closes them.
      -

      The next steps on this would be to start a discussion on the issue
      and encourage hackathon ideas around it during the summit.