Hello developers,

The last few weeks we have seen several discussions on the way the
community is working - or not working, as the case may be - when it
comes to stimulating development of MMBase, and assisting developers in
their efforts to do so.
Various issues have been brought forth. The need for guidance in
starting projects, support when hosting components, desires for change
in the way documentation or source repository are made available, the
composition and tasks of the MMC, and much more.
It is time that we get together so people have an opportunity to give us
their ideas and to react on ideas of others.

Therefor, the MMC is organizing a meeting to discuss the functioning of
the developers community, and to accept ideas on how things can be improved.

The initial date set for this meeting is Thursday, 10 February (next
week). The meeting is to start at 16:00 hours and continue in the
evening. Unless another location is presented we will hold the meeting
at OIS (Omroep Internet Services), at the mediapark in Hilversum.
The meeting is a developers meeting and will focus on the developer
community and the tasks and responsibilities of developers, committers,
and the MMC. As such we expect mainly developers to attend (and likely a
fair amount of tech talk).
Drinks will be provided, food (pizzas or some other easy to order food, to be determined on site) will be ordered (the Foundation has offered to sponsor this).

It is likely not everyone can be present for the entire meeting (some
may be late and some may have to leave early), but since we will collect
ideas and comments during the meeting, and presenting them afterwards
for further discussion if needed, this should not be an issue.
Of course, the meeting is on short notice. If not enough people can show
on this date, we will move the meeting one week further, to Wednesday 16 February. We prefer to hold it as soon as possible, therefor we need you to confirm (by private mail) whether you can attend on either of these dates.

There is no agenda for that evening yet, as items may be brought forth
in the coming week. There are a few points we will certainly discuss,
which include the following items:

[1] The tasks and responsibilities of the MMC
We feel that it may be much clearer if individual MMC members get
appointed certain tasks, so they can function as a point of contact in
certain issues. Tasks we might appoint may include:
- release management
- MMBase.org and hardware
- licensing
- CVS monitoring
- strategies
- vote manager

The exact definition of these tasks (and whether they should be part of
the MMC or not) will be discussed.

[2] Committers and MMC membership
A discussion on whether the current rules for membership of either the
committer group or the MMC are sufficient. Should they be changed, and
if so, how?
We also would like to know who would be interested in a function as
either committer or (if you are a committer yourself) as a MMC member.
While you can always present yourself later, this evening may be a chance
to present yourself as a candidate for either group, and provide insight
in what way you are an asset to the community.

[3] Tasks for the Technical Coordinator
The Foundation will sponsor a Technical Coordinator, who can execute
tasks for which the MMC has little or no time. We need, very soon, to
set up a task lists so we can have a good profile for people suitable
for the job (there have been offers but we need to make sure they fit
the profile).
The tasks for this coordinator are also up for discussion. We invite
candidates for that position to participate in the meeting and present
us with their won ideas.
Note that we currently do NOT expect the coordinator to develop as part
of it tasks.

[4] Applications and 3rd party components
The MMC is planning to relax the requirements for including applications
(or software components related to MMBase) in the CVS respository.
The initial proposal is to allow applications in the MMBase CVS under
the following conditions:
- The software complies with the MMBase code conventions and structure
(i.e. has a build file, standard directory layout, etc).
- The software is released under the MPL
- The software is a component or applications that can be incorporated
with other components. This is a bit vague as a description, but
basically we do not feel that complete systems, such as LeoCMS or Wiab,
are suitable for inclusion in that part of CVS.
- The software is sponsored by a maintainer that has committer rights.
It is of course possible for someone who desires to propose the
application/component to request committer rights for that purpose.
- The committer has to propose the component through a vote, so the
developer community has the final say whether CVS should be granted to
the component or not.
- Some applications will be marked 'core' applications (i.e. taglibs or
editwizards). These will be maintained by the community. Non-core
applications will be maintained by their committer. If an application
loses his maintainer, it may be removed (archived) in future versions of
MMBase if it cannot keep up with development in the MMBase core
applications.
- The applications will, for the time being, be added in the
applications branch of CVS. It is also  possible that we create a
separate '3rd-party' branch, but this may be at a later date.

Some of the conditions noted above may be changed in the future,
depending on needs and experience with initial component proposals.
It's not perfect yet, but it's a start. Of course the meeting gives the
developers a chance to request changes to these conditions before we
implement it.
We plan to implement this change as soon as possible, but not before the
meeting, as we do want input form people before we implement it. (Watch
this space.)

You are all invited to participate in these discussions, and present your
own cases. Since not everyone will be able to attend, we will open up a
separate thread where you can post your ideas.

To participate in this meeting, or for questions, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (if you have a general question we ask that you ask on the list).
Include in your email whether you can attend on Thursday 10 February or on Wednesday 16 February (the latter will be used as a backup date if not enough people can attend next week).

The MMC