For versions Dynamics AX 4.0 and Axapta 3.0 there is a configuration
key under Administration keys that can disallow all user modifications
to the UI.  This is essentially #2 but impacts more than just
hide/show.  The user will not be able to re-arrange columns or move
fields from one tab to another. This keeps the user interface
experience the same for all users.

If you want to disable user modifications, go to Administration >
Setup > System > Configuration.  Open the Administation folder and
uncheck the option labeled "Advanced Form Customizations".

This configuration key appears to have been removed in AX 2009, so I
am not sure how you can do this same thing in the latest release.