The plan calculates requirements for everything, period. We group our top level
items so they are easy to distinguish using filters.

If you instead mean that Planned Orders are calculated for all levels, then you
have some options. Set next lower level of the BOM to type "production"; that
is, you expect that this lower level of requirement will be filled by exploded
production child orders.