I work for a consulting company that does AX work. This is how we view the
layers in AX:

If a company hires us to make modifications, we agree on some requirements.
Then we code the mods to solve those requirements. Because we are held to the
accuracy of those mods meeting the agreed upon requirements, we would request
the company does not modify anything in that layer.

Now, lets say the contract is complete and the client finds a bug. They call us
and ask us to fix it. We then load the changes we made into an environment and
try to reproduce it. If we cannot, then we look at their current environment,
and look for code in any layer above ours. If we find it, then we would ask
them to reproduce it while logged into our layer. If they cannot, then we can
assume the bug is not in our code, but in the upper layer.

All contractors are going to have these worries - ie., how do they certify that
their code meets the requirements given to them - without having to worry about
other code breaking them. Indeed, this concern is not limited to AX consulting,
but all custom programming. AX simply makes it easier.

That said, if a consulting company, or client company, does not fully
understand the layering in AX before signing a contract, they could indeed get
themselves into a legal knot. Especially companies that are not used to the
layer aspects of AX, will be more likely to sign a contract that negates all
the benefits of the layers.

The company I work for would never intentionally lock a customer out of the
other layers by having them sign away those rights in a contract. If we did,
the customer might be able to go to microsoft and complain, and microsoft may
investigate and decide to remove their partnership with the company. This would
not negate the already signed contract, but it may be enough to force a
consulting company to re-negotiate such a contract.

Anyways, I hope my post is helpful in regards to informing the group about how
consulting practices work in the AX community. I don't see a flame-war as
helpful to the group.