We have it integrated with AX4 using ActiveX
We purchased the enterprise version of Bartender which is licensed by the # of
printers used on a single day, not users.
Each workstation that needs to print labels has Bartender installed.

There are label templates setup in AX. The template setup reads the share names
used in Bartender via an import from Bartender when the template is created.

>From several forms in AX there are Print Label buttons. The class in AX sends
>all the share named information to Bartender when the button is selected.  For
>things that need to be entered at the time the label is printed BarTender will
>ask for like Qty in Boxes or how many boxes.  The pop up is suppressed if no
>user information is needed.

It works well. Everyone is happy with the process.  It knows what templates can
be selected based on Customer and or Item and what printers are usable for the
label type.

There are numerous ways to use Bartender but this is the approach we used which
turned out well for us.