On Tuesday, 22 de November de 2011 09.58.02, lars.kn...@nokia.com wrote:
> A IMO better solution would be to have a repository called e.g. qtsupport
> (KDE had something similar for quite a while) that contains copies to
> these 3rd party libraries for convenience.

I'd prefer that too.

And to keep Craig happy for LSB support, if PCRE isn't on it, we should ensure
that the qtsupport always builds the libraries it needs as static and
privately installs them for Qt only. We'll need then to tweak Qt's build
system -- I'm not volunteering! -- to do a whole-archive linkage.

That is when you link a static library into a dynamic library by importing all
the .o files into it. The static library must have been built with -fPIC and is
then known as "convenience library".

Once "conveniently linked", the .a files can be removed. They should not get
deployed on devices.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358