Hi,

We are currently integrating a patch that moves qdoc3 to qtbase and renames it
to just qdoc. (http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,18850)
This allows qdoc to be bootstrapped, so that you always have qdoc available and
that we can properly modularize the documentation.

Why do we do this:
- The Qt5 documentation is not modularized properly. We need qdoc in qtbase to
modularize. Since we don't want to compile qtbase, qtjsbackend, qtdeclarative
and qtdoc before you can run qdoc on QtCore.
- Last week qdoc lost forward compatibility with the \li change, it is not
possible anymore to run an older qdoc3 on the current Qt5 documentation any
more, a name change makes this difference clear.
- We have wanted to rename qdoc3 to qdoc for some time already.

What do we want to do next (don't expect this to be done by next week):
- Refactor the documentation to make it possible to run qdoc on just single
modules.
- Install .index files to some default installation location to make it
possible to run qdoc on individual modules and use the index file from other
modules automatically. This basically means that qdoc is run on QtCore, the
index file is installed somewhere, you then run qdoc on QtSql and it uses the
index file from QtCore automatically. I hope this addresses some of the often
requested functionality to run qdoc on a single folder.
- Move the documentation content around a bit. So that in qtbase the
documentation from QtCore is not in doc/src/corelib anymore, but in
src/corelib/doc.
- Make some more stuff hardcoded in qdoc, for instance a default
sources.fileextensions, which you can override using a qdocconf file. This
would hopefully make it possible to run qdoc without any qdocconf file at all.

If you run qdoc3 in your own projects you can use lessThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 5)
{ } in your .pro/pri files to point to either qdoc3 or qdoc, this should allow
you to run both a Qt4 qdoc3 and a Qt5 qdoc. Where you will get warnings in the
qt5 qdoc because of the changes regarding \o, \li and \bold.

Casper