Now wait a minute, I never said such a thing.

I said that the MinGW-w64 binaries are Cygwin-based now. Meaning, the
MinGW they release needs Cygwin DLLs to run.

The output they generate is still native Win32 binaries, which does
_not_ require Cygwin. (Anything else would be silly, since you could
then just use the normal Cygwin-provided gcc, and not MinGW.)

Now, I do see that the latest "official release" actually comes from the
personal(!) build directory of a Ray Linn, and does not require Cygwin.
(I only noticed it when looking at the files page, and it says "Looking
for the latest version? Download
mingw-w64-gcc-4.6.3-runtime-2.0.1-static-ada-20120321.7z (28.2 MB)",
which happens to point to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Personal%20Builds/ray_linn/)

But personally I much better like the structure, consistency, and
variety of the mingwbuilds project. You have to admit looking at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/windows-host/ it feels
much cleaner and professional. The MinGW-w64 project _feels_ as if it
doesn't have a clear mission. (I'm not saying they don't have one.)

--
.marius