On Thursday 07 June 2012 06:21:04 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> At Digia, Qt Commercial, we have our own CI & release test system which is
> based on an Atlassian tool called Bamboo. We have a much wider set of
> platforms and configurations running than in the Nokia CI system, but we
> value very much the continuous testing done by the Nokia CI system for the
> Qt Project reference platforms.

I would ask then why does Digia not use the same infrastructure, and improve
Qt-Project's to ensure that Qt Commercial stays the commercial version of Qt,
and does not become something only vaguely related with a similar name.
Sharing these test suites and results would be more in-line with the spirit of
the Qt project.

> What comes to adding QNX or any other platform as Tier 1 / Qt Project
> Reference platform, I think the decision should not be taken lightly.

Indeed this is not a decision that is being taken lightly. RIM has committed
to supporting Qt and making it a first class part of their platforms. There
will be support from a non-trivial amount of developers to ensure continuing
support for Qt on QNX users. The fact is that QNX support is seeing more
commits and active development than, say, Windows.

We are putting a lot of effort into being responsible citizens of the Qt
community, as we would expect all other players in the Qt ecosystem to. To
this end we are trying to ensure that we follow all guidelines in promoting
QNX to a Tier 1 status. We have now reached a sufficient level of
functionality in the QNX QPA plugin and other areas that we think this is a
good time to begin these discussions.

> The reference platforms have to be really widely used, and valuable for a
> very large amount of users in the community. In case there is a problem with
> functionality in some of these reference platforms, it would be primary
> target to fix that before releasing.

Both RIM and KDAB are committed to fixing such issues as they are found. QNX
is found in a huge number of devices as you certainly know, so numbers of
users is not really a blocking issue here.

> So naturally a small set of reference platforms means better capability to
> focus efforts, release in time, and have good maturity of releases on these
> platforms.

So you are recommending to not grow the Qt ecosystem to new platforms? That
seems counter-productive. If entities are willing to invest and work on
improving support for Qt on new platforms to the point where they are very
well supported such that the quality of the overall offering does not suffer,
then surely that can only be good for the Qt community.

Kind regards,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.har...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer