> IMHO #4 gives the best out-of-the-box experience.
>
> Is there a way to do the blocking winapi call in a thread on app start-
> up maybe?

Doesn't help if the first thing an application wants to do is download
something from the network.
It would only help because of the workaround we already have to disable WPAD if
it fails (which is not ideal if you start an app at home, then take your laptop
to work)

> How do other apps (i.e. Chrome) handle this without blocking the user
> experience?

Chrome doesn't use the windows API, they make a request to "http://wpad"; and
interpret the pac script themselves.
Firefox is slow to load pages, but UI is not blocked (which points to using the
windows API in a thread)

WPAD is inherently spoofable, but the Chrome method is worse than the windows
API, as you can't tell if the name came from DNS or multicast name resolution.
In any case, we don't have a javascript interpreter available at the QtNetwork
level.

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates
including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by
our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal
compliance with Accenture policy.