Agreed with Jake. If ICNS files support doesn't require platform API calls,
let's simply add it and give the user an options.
That's quite the same as ICO files support: are they common/required on
Linux? - No. Are they supported? - Yes, optionally.

And since we're in Open Governance area, maybe KDE project could contribute
[some of] their image plugins to qtimageformats add-on, too.

Regards,
Konstantin