On Jan 21, 2014, at 5:23 AM, Sorvig Morten <morten.sor...@digia.com> wrote:

> I agree with many of these arguments, and I was in favor of setting the
> minimum supported version to 10.7 back when we started Qt 5 development. But
> we did make the decision to support 10.6. The implementation effort has been
> made and that decision should be respected.
>
> Obviously it’s not going to stand forever, especially when seeing the strong
> opinions from the Qt on Mac developers. We are moving in the direction of not
> supporting 10.6. The 5.3 binary packages will not support it. QtWebkit lives
> its own life - if upstream does not support 10.6 then there is little we can
> do.
>
> When we drop support for 10.6 we are going to remove the 10.6 code and start
> using ARC. I don’t think there’s much room for "community support" for 10.6 -
> if we have to keep the manual reference counting code paths we might as well
> fully support it.

Per Apple [1]:

"ARC is supported in Xcode 4.2 for OS X v10.6 and v10.7 (64-bit applications)
and for iOS 4 and iOS 5.
Weak references are not supported in OS X v10.6 and iOS 4.”

Presumably ARC could be used without dropping 10.6 support, then?

For what it’s worth, I’ve updated to Mavericks a couple days after release, but
straight from 10.6! I’ve evaluated 10.8 in the meantime, but wasn’t running it
most of the time. So I’ve been a 10.6 user on 3 machines up till Oct 2013.

Cheers, Kuba Ober

[1]:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/ObjectiveC/RN-TransitioningToARC/Introduction/Introduction.html