On Monday 21. April 2014 15.13.08 Robert Knight wrote:
> > The design direction is because QML is easier to develop with, more
> > modern,
> > and based on OpenGL. Widgets don't have that and will never be as
> > efficient.>
> >  Therefore, the effort is directed towards the technology that has the
> >  potential>
> > to make interfaces for 2017-2020.
>
> Unfortunately that means there are now 4 completely separate UI stacks
> to maintain in Qt - widgets,
> QGraphicsView, the web and QtQuick v2. I wonder if they could be
> harmonized at all?

There is maybe more harmonization going on that you might think.

With QtWebEngine, the rendering of web content layers is based on the Qt Scene
Graph, which is shared with Qt Quick.

QtQuick (and also QtWebEngine) integrate with the widget rendering thanks to
the GL based compositor in QPlatformBackingstore (raster content on top, GL
content underlay)

>From an end-user perspective the four otherwise just represent fundamentally
different ways of producing graphics, so an harmonization beyond the ability of
embedding the one into the other isn't obvious to me at least.

Simon