On 25/02/15 01:04, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2015 00:44:49 Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Still, I don't understand the strong resistance to implementing this.
>> Supporting XDG_* everywhere helps portability and does not hurt the
>> non-freedesktop.org platforms in any way. If the user doesn't use those
>> environment variables, then nothing changes at all.
>
> The resistance is understanding why it's needed.

Exactly.

> First and foremost, as Jeremy said, QSP is lacking functionality even for the
> standard way of doing things on those OS.

Which are fixes to QSP's implementation on those platforms, and doesn't
require new APIs or hooks/backdoors.

> Second, there's also the question of unmodified Unix libraries and shared,
> global resources. Given this latter argument, I think we will have to
> implement the XDG variables.

I'd like to see these unmodified Unix libraries and shared resources,
and in which case having XDG variables helps. For non-framework
libraries perhaps an extensions to QLibraryInfo that lets the library
figure out its own install prefix is more appropriate. We also already
have a cross platform solution for library resources: QRC, so some of
these use-cases may be better supported by that.

tor arne