I like idea to devide the job of manipulating data and sending data around in
different classes. Many times I get string from different sources in different
formats with different ownerships. And for performance reasons you don't want
copy or convert that strings. Many sources like databases provide for
performance reasons utf8 so we  should definitely support it. How do you want
handle ownership. I think it should no be included in the type. What about move
semantics. If the data is moved around it don't need to be copied before it can
be manipulated.