On October 17, 2015 15:52:08 Smith Martin <martin.sm...@theqtcompany.com> wrote:

>>Please understand my POV: I am of the firm belief that Qt has no business
>>creating inefficiencies for its users by sloppy implementation. Anywhere.
>
> I think you are overreacting here, way too much. You have discovered a more
> efficient way to handle strings, but that doesn't mean Trolltech created
> inefficiency by a sloppy implementation of QString. QString has been used
> productively by many users for a long time. The fact that a moere efficient
> implementation exists doesn't mean the current implementation is inefficient.

QString makes heap allocation and has atomic pointers. I think it was designed
for convenience and  not for maximum speed. That's okay because Qt is mostly a
GUI and not text processing library.

>>I find it intolerable that todays software
>>takes 1000x the memory, 1000x the CPU capacity and doesn't get a given jobs
>>done in less wallclock time than software 20 years ago.
>
> But the fact is, it usually IS tolerable, because the applications you are
> talking about mostly work in human time.
>
> Your efforts to improve Qt are most appreciated, but you make it sound like
> we should publicly name and shame all the engineers who ever worked on
> QString but who failed to find the holy grail of the most efficient
> implementation.

Like I wrote they were very understandable design decisions. Anyway I think a
professional developer knows that he should has distance to his code so that he
get criticism about it not personal. Understanding criticism and argumentation
as a process to write code is, I think, the key to get a good developer. So why
they should be feel ashamed if something better comes up. This is called
progress und it happens all the time.  I think I would be feel ashamed if I
would fight other code because of personal reason. Sometimes I feel that way
but I hopefully not stick to it. ;-)

After reading some proposals about string view it has to my understanding this
properties:
1. Makes string usage between different implementation more efficient
2. Improve static analysis - makes ownership clear
3. Gives the different string implementation a common ground

You can use easily use a Qt function without creating a QString which can be a
big advantage if performance matters.