On Tuesday 20. October 2015 23.37.27 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em qua 21 out 2015, às 06:29:30, Knoll Lars escreveu:
> > As I remember it, the change from QSubString to QStringRef was a simple
> > API
> > naming decision, i.e. independent of the implementation details.
>
> Then it must be a coincidence that it changed internals more or less at the
> same time.

Both were committed at the same time (in change
138d1ab051ed4934b303fa7a43a27dc4004e3ff9 for those who have access to the old
Qt history).

Date:   Mon Jan 15 14:59:53 2007 +0100
Commit message: "Removed QSubString again, and introduced a lower-level class
QStringRef"

QSubString had a QString::Data *d member, and the initial QStringRef had a
const QString *m_string, just like today.

I have only skimmed the thread, so I'm probably misunderstanding something,
but I don't see how a QString pointer is that much safer than a Data pointer,
or a QChar pointer.

A safe class would use the implicit sharing by keeping a QString member, but I
don't know how that would impact performance.

- Paul