On January 19, 2016 09:39:17 Knoll Lars <lars.kn...@theqtcompany.com> wrote:

> On 15/01/16 23:20, "Development on behalf of Thiago Macieira"
> <development-boun...@qt-project.org on behalf of thiago.macie...@intel.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday 15 January 2016 18:42:43 Marc Mutz wrote:
>>> And you will see it over and over again until enough people are fixing
>>> premature pessimisations in existing Qt code. There's a notable increase
>>> already. But it takes a long time to turn a supertanker around...
>>
>>Some of us call them "trade-offs". Every trade-off is a pessimisation
>>somewhere for an optimisation somewhere else. Often, they're not measured in
>>the same units or not quantifiable at all.
>>
>>API quality and consistency fall under those definitions.
>
> Exactly this.
>

>>> And no, I cannot believe that using the Qt containers leads to faster
>>> applications. It may lead to applications faster, but not to faster
>>> applications.
>>
>>Exactly. TTM is a significant factor and we all know Paretto's Law (80-20
>>rule).
>
> And this. Let’s not forget to ask ourselves the question why many developers
> use Qt in C++ development, often even in the case where they don’t need a UI.
> For the past 20 years a lot of our focus has been on making development easy,
> and creating APIs that serve that goal. This means that we are in many case
> optimising for TTM more than for ultimate speed.
>
> I think we agree that std containers are in many cases faster than the Qt
> containers. But they are harder to use and especially developers that come
> from other languages often appreciate the ease of use of the Qt containers.
>
> The main question IMO is how we can bring these two worlds closer together
> for Qt 6 (or maybe even to some extent in Qt 5.x).

I think we should start minimal and try to layer QVector over std::vector. If
you want performance you use in many cases a vector. The second important item
would be IMHO  benchmarks,  maybe we use google benchmark which has some nice
threading feature. Without benchmarking discussions get IMHO easily non
substantial.