On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 12:25:02PM +0200, Liang Qi wrote:
> This is mainly because we did heavy refactoring in upstream branches,

"upstream" makes no sense whatsoever. merge-wise, it's exactly the wrong
way around. "younger" as used elsewhere in this thread is better.

> for example, rewriting configure system, then any small fix in 5.6
> will trigger a huge conflicts.

yes, it's annoying for the one(s) doing the work, but the fact that it
*has* to be done ensures that it *gets* done. doing cherry-picking is a
virtual guarantee that the LTS becomes a scam.

you should also see things in perspective: how many files merge without
you even noticing it, because the merges are clean?

> Other cases are sth like directories reorganization, class renaming
> and etc, it's very annoying when developers have changes in similar
> places in 5.6 and upper branches.

which is why i'm actually in favor of doing low-risk cleanups and
refactorings on stable branches, or at least shortly before branching
off.