On 30 Jan 2017, at 12:23, Simon, Hausmann
<simon.hausm...@qt.io<mailto:simon.hausm...@qt.io>> wrote:

Making a warning go away for compilers that we know support utf-8 may not come
at the price of your life :)

I for one am all in favor of requiring just the Qt source code (not talking
about customer code) to be encoded in a 24 year
old standard and add all the necessary flags to the compilers to make them
understand it instead of producing a warning.

We practically support three different front-ends: GCC, clang and MSVC. All
three - MSVC with the help of an option - can
grok UTF-8. Let's use it at least inside Qt :)

+1. Let’s enable it.

Btw, this had actually been planned for Qt 5.0. Unfortunately we couldn’t
implement it back then, as MSVC was not allowing us to set the input encoding
to utf8.

Cheers,
Lars

Simon