On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 01:38:47PM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 March 2017 13:13:17 Lars Knoll wrote:
> > > Let’s conclude this topic now by moving on towards 5.9 as Tuukka
> > > proposed. After some thinking I also agree that this is the best
> > > course of action from where we are right now.
> >
> > This also implies that bug fixes should now get pushed to the 5.9
> > branch and we should close the 5.8 branch soon.
>
> I disagree. Even if you cannot produce releases from 5.8 anymore,
> that's our stable branch.

that may be the case, but doesn't necessarily mean that you need to
upstream your fixes there. closing it only affects other users of the
5.8 tip who want your fixes. probably not that many.

otoh, the branch being open costs CI cycles and causes some forward
merging effort, while benefitting a marginal number of people.

another point is that most tqtc employees are actually following the
management order and are neglecting 5.8 (for two months now), which
means that it's by far not as stable as one would want it to be.

so i guess it's time to give in and officially close the branch.