01.02.2018, 14:19, "Oswald Buddenhagen" <oswald.buddenha...@qt.io>:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 09:38:29PM +0000, Tuukka Turunen wrote:
>>  The item that has received comments both in favor and against is what
>>  to do with 5.10 now. I think that instead of closing 5.10, we could
>>  move it to cherry pick mode, just like Qt 5.9 is. That allows putting
>>  the necessary fixes there, but reduces the amount of needed merges a
>>  lot. It also allows to faster get all the fixes merged up to dev,
>>  which is something we have struggled in the past.
>
> that makes no sense at all.
> firstly, 5.9 is NOT in cherry-pick mode - your own update to quip 5
> codifies this status quo. i see no reason to revise that decision
> *again*.
> secondly, *nobody* is going to cherry-pick to a branch which *could*
> _hypothetically_ have another patch release, because that would be an
> epic waste of resources.
> thirdly, let me point out that cherry-picking *delays* patch releases,
> because it implies that a commit must have already integrated into a
> more current branch before it can hit the release branch (deviating from
> that principle is just plain stupid), which in the context of our
> infrastructure makes it a poor choice for recent/active branches.

Only in case when cherry-picked patches are release blockers, otherwise
they just don't go in if they miss schedule.

I guess the idea behind this proposal is that we improve quality of dev and
5.11 by sacrificing comprehensiveness of 5.6, 5.9, and 5.10. Multi-level
merges combined with overall CI instability lead to huge delays for patches
to reach dev, as a result people work on stable branches or maintain their
own, which in turn leaves us with worse baseline when next releases' branch
is started from dev.

> so no, this just isn't an option.

Regards,
Konstantin