> On 3 Jul 2018, at 10:26, Lars Knoll <lars.kn...@qt.io> wrote:

>>> Having a common style that we start following is worth something. And yes,
>>> everybody will always find some details he won't like. So we won't get
>>> anywhere if everybody wants it exactly his way.
>>
>> Why not ease into this with the non-controversial style-rules first?
>
> clang-format will produce one way how the output is formatted. It will
> reformat your sources a certain way with less definitions in the file as
> well. So it's most likely better to have more rules defined as it'll give
> something closer to our implicitly used coding style.

Really?? That sounds like a key feature, I’m surprised clang-format doesn’t
allow it to leave code untouched.

If that’s the case then I’m not convinced this exercise is worth the churn. I
thought we were going to run it as a fancy style bot, complaining if the code
isn’t per the format-file, but allowing us to ignore it if we feel the tailored
code-formatting is better? Doesn’t this mean the bot will complain a lot?

We already have a style guide. Introducing clang-format to the mix does two
things:

  1. Formalizes the style guide (to a certain degree)
  2. Introduces new style rules

The second point was new to me, I was under the impression we were only going
to use it as a convenient tool to improve #1.

Tor Arne