Hi!

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 09:39, Kai Köhne <kai.koe...@qt.io> wrote:
[snip]

> Qt PDF is so far a Qt labs module [1]. It allows Qt applications to
> render/view PDF's in QWidget based applications [2], and is built on top of
> PDFium. However, development has been stagnant, also because it is built on
> top of a rather old version of PDFium.
>
> Why wasn't PDFium updated? PDFium got merged into Chromium a while ago, and
> is nowadays built as part of Chromium, using their build system (gn).
> Updating qtpdf.git to ship with latest PDFium would require quite some work,
> and keeping it up to date would require continuous work, too - work that
> nobody was willing to invest into so far.
>
> But it turns out that, since Qt 5.11, we have PDFium already in our sources,
> and we're actually also building it! It's part of the Qt WebEngine libs that
> use it for PDF rendering in HTML. So technically, you can already render
> PDF's by loading them into a Qt WebEngine page. Anyhow, not everybody wants
> to ship a web browser for 'just' rendering PDF's [3] ...

So maintaining it under it's build system it's troublesome, but
letting other people do it in yet another build system is ok. Sorry,
that sounds fishy.

PDF libraries tend to be a common source of CVEs, so whichever library
is used it should be certainly easy to update without the need of a
third party acting as a proxy.