Hi,

  I started to review and move androidextras to qtbase (qtbase/src/corelib/
platform/android). Here we have a problem with our Qt JNI API. The problem is
that in Java exceptions are (ab)used everywhere. Even if we have a way to
check for exceptions after each call in Qt, it's not used (not even by us in
Qt code itself), mostly because it's a little unwieldy to use it. To fix this
issue I'd like to discuss with you a few options:

1 - add something similar to std::expected[0] or outcome[1] to Qt. We can't
use std::optional because it doesn't work for void function e.g.
std::optional<void> callMethod(). std::expected allows our API users to
handle the errors without try/catch. I think std::expected will be useful in
many places not only for QtJNI e.g. QJsonDocument
QJsonDocument::fromJson(const QByteArray &json, QJsonParseError *error =
nullptr) or any other place where we pass the error result as an argument.
Of course we still need to enable exceptions as if we try to access the
returned value without checking its state first it will still throw an
exception if the value is not valid.

2 - use exceptions (at least for android?). This means if a JNI call fails it
will throw a C++ exception. IMHO this is by far the best, cleanest and easiest
solution.

3 - I'm open for better ideas which makes the coding safer and *easier*.

Cheers,
BogDan.

[0] https://wg21.link/P0323R9 sadly it's not in c++20 :( therefore we need to
either use an existing implementation or implement one in Qt.
[1] https://ned14.github.io/outcome/