On 2020-05-13 17:27, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
On 12/05/2020 12.59, Marc Mutz via Development wrote:
AsidE: If you think that CoW is still a thing today: no. SSO is a thing these days, and it seems that QString will not have it in Qt 6, either. NOI favours SSO, QString-everywhere cements the naïve CoW world of the 1990s for yet another decade.

I am really, *really* sick of this.

Okay, for "most" *strings*, you may have a point.

I thought this thread was about strings. Did I miss something?

However, CoW is
*absolutely* still a useful tool for a lot of other applications, and
will continue to be so;

*Optional* *explicit* sharing, as per shared_ptr<const Data> is a thing, yes. But that's completely different from the broken Qt "implicit sharing" that we have now. Have you read the 22year-old Sutter articles? After having read the second, have you checked Qt's implementation for the pitfalls mentioned therein? Continue discussing after you did.

the combination of implicit value semantics
and "cheap" copies (an atomic increment may be relatively expensive,
but so are memory allocations, especially for large data structures)
is not going away any time soon.

Please stop with this crusade of yours to end all CoW, get rid of
QList, etc. It is misguided and harmful to the ecosystem at large.

You are entitled to your opinions just as I am. The difference is that I put time (much more than KDAB pays me for, esp. when it comes to my "crusade") where my mouth is.

Thanks,
Marc