Am 23.05.20 um 03:06 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
On Thursday, 14 May 2020 07:41:45 PDT Marc Mutz via Development wrote:
There's only our own lazyness which stands in the way of this better
alternative.
[snip the rest]

Update:

As we're reviewing the changes Lars is making to get rid of QStringRef, Lars,
Marc and I came to the conclusion that QUtf8StringView is required for Qt 6.0.
That's because some methods that previously returned QStringRef now return
QStringView and to retain compatibility with:

     if (xml.attribute("foo") == "bar")

where QXmlStreamReader::attribute() returns QStringView, we really need to
capture that "bar" as a UTF-8 string and we ought to have optimised UTF-16 to
UTF-8 comparisons. So we're working on it.

If it had been wrapped in QLatin1String(), there would be no compatibility
issues, as there already is an operator==() for QStringView/QLatin1String.

There are currently no conclusions on QUtf8String and QAnyString, nor on what
the APIs should look like.

This also needs a solution in the other direction, QXmlStreamWriter: This is painfully slow, despite UTF-8 XML, UTF-8 source code (element names, attribute names) and data which might be used as - or transformed to - UTF-8 directly. Everything needs to go to UTF-16 first (QString), and then back to UTF-8. Allocations, Reference counting, no SSO...