Well, let's just realize that, by renaming qmake to qmake6 everywhere
(including in the documentation), we actually create some confusion for our
existing users, too. Also, I think adding version numbers to the name of tools
is just no good user experience, and creates unnecessary friction when
switching between Qt versions.

To be honest, the whole discussion feels to me that we are being held hostage
right now for the fraction of Linux users that cannot use update-alternatives
(because they are not administrators). If having different names of tools is
such a big problem, why wasn't this addressed by now in Linux itself?

And again, this is not something limited to Qt. Last time I checked, the
executable to run Python 3 on Windows is python.exe, not python3.exe. On Debian
at least it's python3. This hasn't blocked Python from being perceived as
overall beginner friendly ...

So, I would stick to qmake as canonical name, also in the documentation. We can
mention that it's sometimes called qmake6 on Linux. But forcing everyone to
change their habit and scripts just for the sake of consistency with a fraction
of the users that use a global installation on Linux, and do not use
update-alternatives, is IMO not a good move.

My 2 cents,

Kai