Hi Maurice,

On 03.05.23 08:01, Maurice Kalinowski wrote:
> Basically, the idea from our end has been to take a two-step approach by
> first enabling every developer to use C++20 in their projects and potentially
> add helpers/functionality where possible. Only at a later stage we can then
> start using it in Qt itself. Vladimir Minenko has all the details, as he has
> been laying out the rough plan with the foundation engineering.

This is the status quo. Qt users can use C++20 with all active Qt
versions, incl. 5.15, but it's a best-effort thing atm, not something we
check on the CI.

Having taken this first step, the next one is, indeed, to make C++20
mandatory (for building Qt and therefore for using Qt[1]).

Thanks,
Marc

[1] I also heard the idea to make C++20 mandatory for building Qt, but
user projects could continue to use C++17. That would require _forward_
binary compatibility between stdlib implementations. Given that a C++20
stdlib must needs contain more symbols (C++20-only features), it's
almost guaranteed that forward BC isn't maintained by stdlibs.

--
Marc Mutz <marc.m...@qt.io>
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B