> Do you foresee any potential issues with this approach? Please feel free to
> share your thoughts.

The relevant kwin expert, Xaver Hugl said in a chat about this topic:
"While the overhead on the compositor side would be lower, rendering
into a dmabuf with the CPU is pretty slow, especially on dedicated
GPUs and especially with QPainter"

This means there's a strong chance this doesn't have the performance
boost that it looks to have on paper. Rendering into shared memory is
as fast as rendering into any application local memory.
This is potentially avoidable with a shadow buffer and then an upload
at the end, but then we're just moving work to the client rather than
saving work.

I would suggest getting some test benchmarks ahead of time, it's a lot
of code for something that might not pay off.
We'll also need to ensure we do fairly extensive real-world benchmarks
before landing a final merge request.

David Edmundson