On 13/9/23 11:06, Ivan Solovev via Development wrote:
I would therefore propose to remove the file from qt5.git:

+1 from my side.
I believe I simply do not have the clang-format tool installed on my system,
because it usually breaks the formatting of the patches, not improves them.

One way to address these problems, especially for new devs or drive-by
contributions, is stating clearly in the wiki page:
"use clang-format, it should get you at least half way there, but you still
should/must also override it to match the style of surrounding code, as much as
possible, in the file(s) you're editing, that's kinder to reviewers".

The problem is that we have a pre-commit (I believe) git-hook, which checks the
formatting and nags if it does not match to what we have in the _clang-format
file.
This basically forces​ the new or drive-by contributors to submit the patch
with an
incorrect formatting, which then leads to a bunch of review comments about
code-style.

I think that it's better to give no hints, rather than misleading hints.

[...]

I think the best way to find out is indeed removing the file, then one of two things will happen:
- we'll get less formatting issues in reviews (especially from new contributors)
- or we'll still get formatting issues, just different ones than what clang-format currently does

So 6-12 months, and we'll have a definite answer. :)

Regards,
Ahmad Samir