Il 03/02/24 22:08, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
But what about a zero seed? It's what we call a "deterministic hashing". We
have changed the algorithms on .0 releases (in both 5.0 and 6.0 for QString).

I don't think it means "deterministic" in the sense that the output will never change across Qt versions. It just means deterministic across multiple runs of the very same application using the very same Qt version.

When you disable QHash seeding, the choice of making the seed equal to 0 is just "a choice"; we could make it 42 or 0xF0CACC1A, for what is worth. qHash can still change its output at any time across Qt versions and software should never ever rely on that.

My 2 c,

--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - Trusted Software Excellence