From what I see, the open questions from the thread in May are still:

- (paraphrasing Ville) which C++ 20 features are worth breaking (primarily
embedded) users who want new Qt version but don’t yet have the compilers that
can give them these facilities?

https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2023-May/043887.html

And the perspective here needs to be the users of Qt. In Qt, we can often work
around missing facilities, if there is a real benefit in doing so. But as long
as users can use a more recent C++ language standard for their code without
being hobbled by Qt, the list of C++20 features that really would make a
difference for Qt users seems to negligible. From what I see, we are years away
from doing anything useful with modules and co-routines, as the two biggest
items that users of Qt would be interested in and ask about. Have we done any
work on any of those, beyond Ville’s work on senders & receivers?

Concepts would be very useful, also for Qt users, because a library of concepts
could be useful for users when they create their own APIs; and because it would
allow us to comprehensibly document the requirements for our own templates
(today we often hide the std::enable_if’ery from documentation, and don’t
always provide equivalent information about the requirements to the types used
in our templates).
We can perhaps start with that as a documentation feature (qdoc can use
libclang with whatever C++ standard it wants).

- which C++ standard do the oldest versions of gcc and clang we support default
to (the gcc devs at least strongly advising against explicitly raising the
language version from the default)

https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2023-May/043915.html

https://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx-status.html still documents C++20 as
experimental, and C++17 as the default.

Volker

On 5 Feb 2024, at 10:57, Alex Blasche via Development