Most probably making it protected (temporarily) and trying to build everything
else (including QtCreator) may reveal the original reason for being public.

Jarek

From: Development <development-boun...@qt-project.org> on behalf of Marc Mutz
via Development <development@qt-project.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2024 8:58 AM
To: development@qt-project.org
Subject: [Development] Should QObject::event() be protected or public?

Hi,

In API review, we detected some overrides that changed the access
specifier vis-a-vis the original virtual function
(https://wiki.qt.io/Things_To_Look_Out_For_In_Reviews#Polymorphic_Classes
Item 5.3).

One of them was a protected reimplementation of QObject::event() (which
itself is public).

The reason why QObject::event() is public seems lost to history, but the
feeling in the review comments¹ was that it should have been protected
from the get-go (and QObject befriended by whoever delivers events).

If you see any reason for QObject::event() to stay public in Qt 7 and
not become protected, please speak up before we fork Qt 7.0 :)

Thanks,
Marc

¹
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdeclarative/+/528290/comment/f51938ca_fd065a18/

--
Marc Mutz <marc.m...@qt.io>
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B