On Tuesday 18 June 2013, Heiko Stübner wrote:
> > Side comment: I think it would be nice if the generic code did this
> > init if a l2x0 device node was in the device tree, since the only
> > reason to override init_machine is to do this call in addition to
> > of_platform_populate().
>
> Arnd said similar things in the initial version :-).
>
> Currently I'm wondering if it wouldn't be enough to call always l2x0_of_init
> somewhere, because it does the checking for the dt nodes itself already.
>
> The only obstacle would be platforms having the need to use special
> aux-values
> or which are currently calling the function from some other parts of the boot
> process (tegra inits the cache in its tegra_init_early function for example).

I think we can handle this by ensuring the function only gets called once,
and all platforms with special requirements call it before the common code
does.

I tried to understand what the requirement for non-zero argument is however
and couldn't figure it out. Shouldn't we just be able to specify all the
bits as DT properties all the time?

        Arnd