On Thursday 04 December 2014 09:28:34 Lina Iyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04 2014 at 02:02 -0700, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> >> We did this approach but, I can remember why, someone was complaining
> >> about it also
> >>
> >> The platform device/driver paradigm allowed us to split the arch
> >> specific parts by passing the pm ops through the platform data.
> >>
> >> Would make sense to have a single common place for the ARM arch where we
> >> initialize the platform device for cpuidle ?
> >
> >No. It's really not a device, and if you pretend that it is, you get
> >into problems like this.
>
> Arnd, the problem is that the provides function pointers to the SoC code
> that the cpuilde driver uses to call based on the idle state.
>
> After much discussions, we came down to using function pointers from
> translating from DT strings, other than using that again, I dont see a
> good way of achieving the ability of cpuidle driver staying a separate
> driver from the SPM driver.
>
> Daniel, thoughts?

Maybe the problem is trying too hard to separate two things that really
belong together then. In general, the strategy of coming up with subsystems
for a class of devices and them turning platform code into drivers for
that subsystem has worked out really well, but I think for cpufreq, cpuidle
and smp, it really hasn't, and in the third case we haven't even tried
coming up with a subsystem for that reason.

Having all cpuidle code generally live in drivers/cpuidle is still a good
idea IMO, but using a platform device just for the purpose of passing
data between some platform specific code and another platform specific
driver hasn't worked out that well here.

        Arnd