On 03/17/2015 09:43 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17-03-15 14:30, Rob Herring wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> TBH I do not understand why we're even arguing here, AFAICT the behavior
>>> change
>>> is an unwanted side-effect of your patch, so the solution is to rewrite the
>>> patch
>>> so that we get the same end result (not turning off bootconsole-s too early)
>>> without
>>> the unwanted side-effect, and you agreed to work on that ?
>>
>> I intend to revert this if we don't have a fix soon.
>>
>> I think we just need a flag saying we've enabled the earlycon from
>> stdout-path or not and then add the preferred console based on that. I
>> assume with "earlycon" only on the command-line, getting console only
>> on stdout-path is okay.
>
> Yes, if a user explicitly specifies something like "earlycon" on the
> commandline then not automatically getting console output on tty0 is
> fine AFAICT. The use case important for me / distros is when no
> console= (or related) arguments are present on the cmdline at all,
> then the desired behavior is to have console output on tty0 as well
> as on any serial console specified with stdout-path.

The issues raised by this patch have nothing to do with earlycon.

1. PowerPC boot crash - the report with the most troubleshooting info right now
   implicates some buffer overflow or console mismanagement triggered by simply
   having defined a preferred console. This needs to be figured out regardless,
   and this is what I'm working right now.

2. Hans' use-case was _already broken_ even before this patch; _any_ driver
   that adds a preferred console before the vt console driver will cause
   this problem. So again, this needs to be fixed regardless.

Regards,
Peter Hurley