> Sorry, must have been real fuzzy when I wrote the original
message.
> My screen indeed gets filled by REQUEST's and ACK's not
OFFER's.
> The dhcpcd messages strangely enough don't appear in
/var/log/messages,
> only on the console screen so I can't check the timing of
these messages.

Ah, just a short lease then.  This is not particularly bad,
other than the console messages annoying you, the overhead
of renewing DHCP leases is trivial.  It seems pointless if
they are doling out static IPs, but perhaps everyone is not
on static, and the lease time is the same for everyone.  I
should note the renewal process is done when the lease is
50% expired (gives time for failure recovery) so if the
lease is every 48 hours, you will see a renewal every 24
hours, which would definitely fill up the screen every 12
days or so.

You can approximately time the renewals by clearing the
screen and noting the date/time.  Check it in a few days and
count the messages.

If you can catch a trace of the full packet (DHCPACK
specifically) you can look at the lease time option for the
exact lease time.

JP