John Powell wrote:

> Hmmmm, should work.  I don't know what rev you are running
> (I think I am around 4.0b6), but I don't think this has

I'm running 4.0 final.

> The best way to check if it is running and in-sync is to use
> '/usr/sbin/ntpdate -d localhost' and look in the debug that
> is returned to see if the stratum level is not 0 or 16

Ah ha!  It was showing stratum 16.  A little more tracking down showed
that bitsy.mit.edu was not answering, even though it was on the list as
a stratum 1 server with an open access policy.  I changed the server
back to time.nist.gov, and shortly thereafter, my own server started
responding as a stratum 2 server and broadcasting.  Now, the question
remaining is why it wasn't working earlier (I'd had it set to
time.nist.gov earlier, and switched to bitsy because of its apparent
open-access policy), but I don't seem to be able to reproduce that
problem, so I'm not going to worry about it.
--
Dan Brown, KE6MKS, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy