Richard Ford wrote:
> Since this little old mail server will have raid - backed up
> to a nice tough
> Compaq with raid and daily DAT backup, how important is the need for
> hardware raid on the mail box (mail and web mail ONLY).

Hardware RAID will always be superior to software RAID.  The question
is how important is your e-mail.  Sounds like a corporate client that
clearly feels their data is important and has invested wisely in
appropriate hardware, raid, backup.  I'd say stick with a hardware
RAID solution Richard.  You already mention you use 3ware, like 3ware
so go with it.

Darrell