Brandon Friedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Where do I find the squid log files? We are installing e-sith at a school.
>We will be using squidguard. The school needs to be able to monitor which
>websites are being visited and by who, what time etc (ip address is also
>ok).

You'll find an even too extensive squid access log in
/var/log/squid/access.log.

If the school needs to keep access logs for a long time, it will be
necessary to implement a store mechanism - squid logs are rotated every week
by the standard logrotate procedure, and only 5 copies are kept: when the
sixth log is rotated, the oldest one is wiped out.

I wrote a few silly lines of code that append rotated log sequentially to a
big file that is manually transferred on a CD rom when it gets too large, by
example.

>Also we need to be able to check which websites squidguard has blocked -
are
>there log files for squidgaurd?

There's a squidGuard.log in /usr/local/squidGuard/log directory, but I found
only startup/database loading messages. I guess that a detailed log could be
activated someway, but don't now how...

Anyway, a squidGuard blocked access is registered in the squid access log as
a TCP_MISS/200 access served by DIRECT/localhost, so I'd say that a simple
filter should suffice.

--

Pierluigi Miranda