Rod,

> Has anyone had any experience with using / configuration with an Alcatel USB
> ADSL modem on an e-smith box?
>
> Our ISP provides these modems as part of their ADSL service, usually for a
> wondoze box. Alcatel have released new drivers for Linux but I haven't been
> able to obtain details yet.

I suspect that you are talking about iiNet - the same ISP as I use.
If so, there's a couple of different models of the Alcatel Home modem
available. The standard one is a USB model, but I've used the Alcatel
"Speed Touch Home" version.

This has a 10BaseT connector on the back - you just plug it into your hub
or switch. The modem runs in bridged mode with a static IP address
so there's no need for PPPoE.  I've found this to very satisfactory -
no mucking about with Linux drivers or PPPoE authentication.

So far I've set up 3 sites - one each using e-smith 4.0, e-smith 4.1
and LRP.

Regards

Steve

--

Steve Landers                     phone:    +61 8 9313 6868
Digital Smarties                  e-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]