On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Sage Telecommunications wrote:

> We are currently running e-smith 4.1.1
> After a reboot the smtpfwdd is reported to have started running according to
> the log files.

According to the console it would have been "DISABLED", I think.

> There is no corresponding shutdown or fail message regarding smtpfwdd.
> However all email is left in the /var/spool/smptd/spool/ directory until I
> manually start the smtpfwdd.
> Once this is done all appears to run ok.
> I have scanned through the logs looking for any output / reference to
> smtpfwdd and have found nothing except the startup messages at reboot and
> when I manually start the service.
> Any input appreciated.

Please see http://www.e-smith.org/bboard/read.php?v=t&f=3&i=3082&t=3050

Your problem is that rpm ran the %postun script of the old
e-smith-obtuse-smtpd rpm when you upgraded it. That script removed the
configuration information for smtpfwdd. It will be replaced if you perform
the sequence of actions specified in the URL above, or you could be brave
and do:

/sbin/e-smith/db configuration set smtpfwdd \
 service InitscriptOrder 81 status enabled
/etc/rc7.d/S81smtpfwdd restart

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada