Here may be an easy-to-use solution.  If you use Mindterm, and install the
java applet in/under your publicly accessible primary/html directory you can
get full Telnet/SSH access to your e-smith box.  If you login as root, you
gain remote 'root' access.  If you login as 'admin', you gain remote 'admin'
access and of course access to the Control Console where you may choose to
'Access e-smith-manager with text mode browser'.  If your super security
conscious you can access via https://mycompany.com/mindterm.html as an
example.  Here are step-by-step instructions:

Step 1:  e-smith 4.1 disables telnet access and further requires a Telnet
program that supports SSH encryption for root access.  In the
e-smith-manager > Remote Access panel select the following:

Secure shell (ssh) access: Private (or Public)
Allow administrative command line access over ssh: yes
Allow ssh access using standard passwords: yes

Step 2: MindTerm v1.99 is a SSH (both v1 and v2) client program written in
100% pure Java (non-certified). MindTerm can be run as a stand-alone program
or as an applet in a webpage.  Download Mindterm from
http://www.mindbright.se/download/mindtermbin-v199.zip. (Note this is a demo
version but free for non commercial use) Check there website for more
details.

Unzip to c:\mindterm and you will find 'mindtermfull.jar', the java applet.

Step 3:  Running Mindterm via a webpage

Of course there are many possibilities for implementing this applet. One way
is to incorporate it into the primary web site. To have a quick look follow
these steps:

Create an html page and cut and paste this simple applet code into the page:

<applet>
<applet archive="mindtermfull.jar"
code=mindbright.application.MindTerm.class width=580 height=400>
<param name=sepframe value="true"<!-- whether to run in a separate frame or
not -->
</applet>

Save as mindtermfull.html (or whatever you want to name your page)

Copy the two files, mindtermfull.jar and mindtermfull.html to your servers
primary/html directory. Launch the applet by simply entering the appropriate
URL in your browser. Example, http://mycompany.com/mindtermfull.html and
take it for a test drive.

Regards,

Darrell