On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Garret Aott wrote:

> I started from anew, trashed the installation and did it again. The file
> contained a different password, which worked. Could this be a bug?

Quite possibly. Sadly, we have lost a fair bit of evidence now. Would you
please send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] reporting in as much detail as
possible as possible exactly what you did and exactly what you observed.

One item of particular interest is exactly how you attempted to use the
root password, and what it was (if you can remember). One possibility is
that there was some special character that needed to be escaped on the
command line.

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada