I think I am understanding that all the e-smiths that I have setup so far have had a
configuration error then.
Hmm...  I wonder if that reflects on the operator?

( in 4.0 and 4.0.1)
if I leave that setting at e-smith  then I have to address my machine
www.e-smith.e-smith.mydomain.com and if I change it to anything else I have to address
my
machine www.e-smith.mydomain.com  (note the name I put in there is not in the name at
all)
replace www part of name with any of the others that you mentioned also.  (mail, proxy
etc...)

But that must be a configuration problem on an older version  4.0 and 4.0.1  so we can
leave it for now and I will attempt to see where I went wrong next time I get out
there.