On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Robert Boerner wrote:

> Just setup a brand new e-smith box live on the net and
> it is working well. However, I seem to be unable to
> access the pop3 of imap server via a plain old dial up
> account at home. I thought I saw on this list that
> external access wasn't functioning correctly in 4.1.1.
> Is this correct, or is my memory just hazy?

No, you are correct. There is a bug in 4.1.1 - the packet filter
firewalling is not reconfigured and restarted when remote POP/IMAP is
enabled.

You can work around this problem by doing a "save" in the ldap or remote
access pages of the manager - both of these reconfigure and restart the
packet filter.

We will be posting an update once the fix has been verified.

> Everything else works fine. From the internal network,
> I can send and receive no problem to any address on
> the internet. It is just when I call a friend who
> access the net through a dialup (but changes his email
> client settings to be set to my server), he is unable
> to send or receive mail.

He will not be able to send mail via the e-smith server in any case. He
should use his ISP's SMTP server for outgoing mail.

Or he could use webmail, which should be working fine, for both reading
mail, and sending.

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada